Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Devil Wears Zara

     This weekend I was dying to have my first real Parisian shopping experience and I definitely got it. Right now, it's les soldes, which are the sales that happen twice a year- once after Christmas and once in the summer- and are put in place by the government. Apparently shops can't have sales whenever they want to, like at home. We went to Galeries Lafayette, which is like an extremely ritzy Macy's that makes the Mall of America look like a dump. I also got my first taste of Zara and I, right away, wanted to buy everything in the store, but settled on a nice cardigan for my internship.

The ceiling of Galeries Lafayette- gorgeous!
    Shopping made me feel like a dump. For the past while, I've felt like I can dress pretty well in this town, but I was wrong. I was in an H&M and some girl just had this giant Miu Miu handbag and Louboutin heels. No big deal. Women in Paris look amazing without even trying. I work on my hair every morning and still don't look half as good as the parisiennes who don't even touch theirs. And they all wear high heels all the time, which I've started doing too. There are very few escalators and close to zero elevators, yet everyone just prances up the steps in their teetering heels. No big deal. One of these days I'm going to tumble down the cement stairs and that Jean Dujardin poster will just be smiling at me, as usual. Psh.

On the chilly terrace- look it's the Eiffel Tower!

It was just too cold outside! (Note: That's my new Zara cardigan)
     It's been ridiculously cold here, like -5 celsius, yet last night we cracked open some bottles of wine out on Mary Kate's terrace at Foyer International, which has a perfect view of everything in Paris. It reminded me of the view when Remy first gets to the rooftops of Paris in Ratatouille. Paris really is merveilleux!

Rachel

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rach! I'm happy you got to experience the sale!! Last time I was there we did the summer one....I remember getting a great pair of awesome heels at a shop on the Avenue St. Germain....there were SO many people on that street looking for a bargain! And by the way, have you been to the Passages yet??
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the sales! They end around Valentine's Day, so I want to go shopping again before the prices go back up. Yeah, it's definitely crowded, but worth it! No, I haven't, what is Passages?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Zara... I developed quite the obsession myself. Two stores within 5 blocks of my apartment. Unhealthy. Why isn't there one within the nearest 500 zip codes of Minneapolis? Thank God for online shopping...

    ReplyDelete