Thursday, February 9, 2012

Anyone Can Cook (Except Me)

     Tonight we had a cooking class at Tours de Cuisine. We were divided into partners and each pair had to make three plates. Diana and I made choux (pastries filled with chocolate), a vegetable tiramisu with layers of black olives, tomatoes, cheese and cucumbers in a small glass, and then bacon-wrapped turkey with a layer of chestnut stuffing inside. It was really difficult because the recipes were in French and we were told to just start. First thing I did was spill half of the ingredients on the hot plate, which set the theme for how the rest of the cooking went. We weren't taught how to do it, so when we made mistakes, it was too late. It was like Top Chef for people who don't cook. We were rushing around with eggs and raw meat all over our hands and had absolutely no idea what we were doing. I also realized how many foods I'm not familiar with when cooking (Most foods). We mostly just laughed through the whole thing and everything turned out sloppy.

Our choux that we made! They were actually really good!

Me with Fiifi, Diana, Anna and Pili- we love cooking, obviously!
    Being the world's pickiest eater, France has made me try so many new things already...black olives, chestnuts, salmon, and now...mushrooms! I ate an entire mushroom- it was HUGE -for the first time in my life! It wasn't bad, but I definitely felt like I was eating a cow eyeball on Fear Factor. Such a baby, I know! It was fun learning how to make such fancy cuisine, but at heart I really just prefer comfort food like a good ol' steak and fries. Anything on the grill and I'm happy! As Gusteau in Ratatouille says, "Anyone can cook." But should they? Probably not. Just go to a restaurant.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment