Sunday, September 8, 2013

I Know Places



"How I wish my friends could be with me for a moment to enjoy the view which lies before me."
          -Goethe, 12 September 1786
------------------

    "I'm going to push you to have more confidence in knowing what you want," my advisor said to me this week during our meeting. He's right. I probably should, in a lot of areas. What he was getting at is that I need to figure out what I want to work on for my directed study this semester and ultimately, my thesis. It's hard for me to grasp that I'm at the academic level of having to do a thesis or that I could even be capable of it. I have the mindset of the underdog and to be really successful at this, I'll need to drop that. My school has a lot of Ivy League-ers and once again, I've been thrown down among the youngest and least accomplished. I have a lot to prove, but I still don't know what I want, in my program or in my life.

     Orientation week is now over and I'm looking forward to classes starting tomorrow. I'm taking five classes: Communications and the Global Public Sphere, What is Cultural Translation?, Translation Workshop, Historical Systems of Cultural Translation and a directed study. I'm also going to try and audit a French course, if possible since it's free for grad students. I felt like it'd be weird to be in Paris and not be taking a French course. I've been continuously enrolled in French courses since I was fifteen. I think it'd be good for me, since my classes are all in English and everyone at school speaks English. I'm actually surprised to find I'm a rare breed in that I speak French pretty well. I can't imagine coming here to live and not knowing a lick of French, but there are plenty of people in that boat. They'll learn.

      On Friday, the cultural translation (CT) program had an eight-hour meeting to introduce ourselves and for the faculty to introduce themselves. I tried with every speck of energy in me to not fall asleep. I haven't had coffee yet in Paris and oh boy, do I need it. To top it off, we sat in a circle, so I'm sure all my new, impressive and distinguished professors thought I was narcoleptic or hungover.

My campus
      That night, we had a cocktail hour and Bateaux-Mouches night for the graduates, which was awesome considering we got free dinner, wine and a ride on the Seine (Not technically free, since our orientation fee was five hundred euros). For the rest of the weekend, when I wasn't attending optional orientation activities or trying to clean my slightly dirty apartment (I opened the fridge today and almost gagged. The American dollar doesn't take you far in terms of getting a spacious, clean place to live, let me tell you.), I've been reacquainting myself with my favorite Paris haunts. Yesterday, I spent my day on the Ile Saint-Louis and in the Latin Quarter, eating Berthillon sorbet, browsing the bouquinistes and sitting in the sun with my eyes closed in parks. This week has been so hard, so it was nice to walk around by myself and not have report to anyone or have any sense of time. I don't yet have a phone and I didn't bring a map, either. That is freedom if I've ever known it.

Bateaux-Mouches- it wasn't freezing like last time in January 2012!
In the park behind Notre-Dame, creeping on children and enjoying the sunshine

Berthillon sorbet. I dare you to find better sorbet/ice cream.
     I joined a few other grad students on a tour of the Latin Quarter and we passed so many memories, particularly the steps at St-Etienne-du-Mont, which were featured in Midnight in Paris and where I last spent time with my favorite Paris friends. If you're reading this, I miss you and think of you guys all the time. Come back to me!

     If I had to say one really great thing about my new school, it's how diverse its population is. I made a friend who's from Athens and her and I had a great dinner and conversation outside on the rue de Buci on Saturday night. These are the kinds of people I probably would never encounter at home and what an awesome experience it is to have.

Dinner on the rue de Buci
    Today, I put on my photographer cap and ventured into the Jardin du Luxembourg to take photos. Just as I was settled against a tree, basking in the sun, listening to a jazz band play in one of the pavilions, and thinking, This truly is the most beautiful city on Earth, a bird took a shit on my pants. That's Paris for you. You can never be too content for too long, or it shits on you.

I forgot that I'm a GIANT in France and always need to bend down for mirrors
Jardin du Luxembourg
Jardin du Luxembourg
Jardin du Luxembourg
Bird merde right on my new pants

My street
St-Sulpice, my favorite church in Paris
The Highlander. I need to recruit new team members for pub quiz night.
Jared & Taylor's lock
Enjoying the sunset from home
   
     I walked to the Institut Catholique de Paris and The Highlander, two of my past hangouts and then on to the Pont des Arts to affix Taylor and Jared's lock that I gave them at their wedding in prime real estate on the bridge, which has gotten so much fuller since the last time I saw it. I then spoiled myself with speculoos gelato from Amorino on rue de la Huchette. In Shakespeare & Co., I found the screenplay for Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, the latter of which starts in the bookshop. I got into the Before series this summer and I'm completely hooked. The other day, a few people were telling me I remind them of Julie Delpy and that they'll need to find me a Jesse in Paris. I thought that was funny and cute to say. But I hope I'm not that neurotic.

Extremely excited about this.
     Anyway, the Eiffel Tower is sparkling for four more minutes, so I think I'll go and enjoy that on my balcony before I have to be professional and go to sleep at a reasonable time. Bonne nuit, mes chéries.

Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Did you make the images with the titles?! I like it, and all of the beautiful pictures! Sounds and looks like a wonderful time, good luck with 1st week of classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! I use PicMonkey and sometimes an app called Phonto.

    ReplyDelete